Background Information Page 

 Lab Report

Analytic Essay

 Display of Results

 Diagram

 Title/ Index page

 Photograph

Link
   Animation

 Enhancements

Bibliography 

 St. Matthew's Website

 

 

As all junior scientists, we set out with a hypothesis that we hoped the experiment would meet. Our experiment did not work as perfectly as we hoped, but through some complex improvisation and trial and error; we managed to work out all of the flaws that presented themselves. We will explain what our experiment was, its mishaps and what we would do to change them, and how it worked in illustrating the effects of the "Bends."

In our experiment we set out to illustrate the effects of the Bends on a soda bottle. We planned to do this by placing a bottle in an upside down diving bell. Are diving was an arrowhead bottle. We then lowered it at 4 feet incriminates to see what was the ideal depth for depressurizing the soda bottles was. We found out that the deeper the soda bottle went the more depressurized it became. This was expected because the deeper the diving bell went the higher the pressure on the bottle was. The photographs (taken by Charlie and Charles) of us opening the soda bottle proved this. To sink the "diving bell" we put a cage on top, full of weights. In the cage we put 50 pounds of weights. This might be thought excessive, but there was no other way to lower it. Even with all this weight and two divers to balance it still was very difficult and troublesome. 

Our experiment took us two weeks to figure out. Even after all this thinking, problems came up that took some intuitive improvising to figure out. First off, we first planned to attach a rope to a square diving bell and use a pulley to lower it down to the bottom. This idea quickly disintegrated when we found out how many people would be needed to pull the diving bell down. We also figured out that a cylinder shaped object would sink better than a rectangular shaped one. We fixed these problems by first putting a metal cage on top, full of weights to sink it instead of ropes hanging down. Secondly, we changed the diving bell from a square to a cylindrical arrowhead bottle. Through these changes our project would have never worked as well as it did.

We set out to illustrate the effects of the "Bends" on a soda bottle. When a person experiences the "Bends" it is because nitrogen bubbled block their Capillaries and Veins. The weakest effect this can have is inflammation of the skin. The worst is a stroke or a heart attack. Of course our bottle can not experience these effects. But, when opened, it produced the Carbon Dioxide bubbles like the Nitrogen bubbles formed in humans. The first part our experiment was to produce the effects of the "Bends" on the soda bottle but the second part was to take away the effects. We did this by depressurizing the bottle at a high pressure. This happened by lowering the bottle to a deep depth where there was a high pressure. This is very similar to a decompression chamber that humans use to take away the effects of the "Bends". A person is rid of the effects of the "Bends" when the nitrogen is taken out of their blood. This happens when the person is reintroduced to the same pressure that the nitrogen had entered in. Decompression usually takes 4-5 hours. By doing this, the patient is relieved of the horrible effects of the "Bends." Overall I feel our experiment worked to the best of its capabilities.

Our project, through all of its failures and accomplishments, successfully portrayed the effects of the bends. We will explain what our experiment was, its mishaps and what we would do to change them, and how it worked in illustrating the effects of the "Bends."