HOME

 Lab Report

 Links

Experiment

Video

Hypothesis

 Method and Materials

Problem Statement

Results

 Enhancements

 Analytic Essay

Thanks

Diagram

 Bibliography

Book of Progress

St. Matthew's DEEP web site

 Analytic Essay
By
Ian Martineau

 

First off, the ROV I built was a larger success than I thought it would be. Although there were some issues, one of them being major. Besides a few problems I believe that it was a success.

My results show that it was not all that bad. For average speed, my results show that it can reach speeds up to about 1.5 foot per second. I didn't get to fully test its depth capability because the engine short circuited either from getting to hot, or from getting water in it. So I have no results for that but I am sure it would have done fairly well.

During my experiment, I saw that a larger battery worked a lot better than the lantern sized battery the book told me to use. For a large battery, I used a car battery, which i think was part of the reason my vertical engine stopped working (to much power).

I would change several things if I had the chance to do it again. Firstly, I would try to build better motors, and then try to make the frame less water resistant and more hydrodynamic. Longer wires or a waterproof control box would be good as well. And more tests would be more helpful. I would also have a partner.

I learned a couple things from doing this experiment. First of all, I learned that it is always good to have a partner so you can do half of the work and leave the other half to your partner. I also learned how to weld and wire things. But other than that I learned things can never be totally waterproof especially electrical things. Like the motors, for example. The vertical motor got water in it which prevented it from working.