Analytic Essay

To Bottom

Throughout the course of our project we strove to be perfect. Finally after we simplified our experiment we found near perfect results. Thankfully, after the experiment was completed we were still able to improve on the projects of others.
Before we even started experimenting we had the idea to fill a flask with water, and then pump air from tanks into the flask to remove the existing water. We then would light sterno attached to the bottom of the flask with a igniter to a model rocket engine. After a hour or so after experimenting at Matt's house, we found that this would not work. In search of an replacement we went to a hobby shop in the west side pavilion. We bought a heat exchanger of an a remote control car. After much rewiring we were able to attach a switch to a battery which powered the exchanger. Soon, we found that this would not work either. After even more searching Matt found a barbecue lighter. We thought that this would be the answer. We drilled holes in a stopper, and sealed in the lighter. Soon we found that the lighter would not light the sterno at the bottom of the flask. We thought that this meant that there was not enough oxygen in the 250 ml flask. We then used a huge capacity glass jar, similar to large jugs that bottled water is held in. We created a small basket for the sterno. After this failing as well, we switched back to the flask. Finally we light the sterno in the flask but the results were off. We then found out that air was able to leak up the lighter, and escape out the back. We then had to go back to the drawing board.
Thankfully we soon found a way to complete our experiment. We decided to simplify. We realized that our tanks were an advantage. We were able to force a mixture of air into a flask, so that it contained almost only that gas. We would drop two matches in the the flask and seal it with a stopper. This source of flame was powerful enough to consume the oxygen into the flask, and still burn for a while, giving more detailed results. We include a temperature sensor in our results. We found that as the gas was heated up inside the flask, the pressure rose. This meant that the flask must be cooled to the exact temperature each time. In our case that temperature was 30.1 degrees C. We used a bucket full of ice water, and a temperature sensor to ensure that we got perfect results. Also, our our team work on the project also helped. We were able to quickly put the match inside of the flask and seal it quickly.
Although error was not a major factor in our project, or in our essay for that matter, some error did occur. In fact the percent error in our whole project was
4.445%. First, as we dropped in the match into the flask, some gasses were able to diffuse in and out of the flask. When we experimented with pure air this was not a problem because the same mixture was in the flask and the area around it, but we realized we could never have a pure mixture of nitrox in the flask. This altered our results some. Also, matches are not capable of burning off all of the oxygen in the flask. It is impossible for them to consume every last molecule of air. This and the fact that matches let off small amounts of other gasses when they burn, also contributed to or error. Our DEEP team was also puzzled when the partial pressure turned out to be lower than the percentage of the mixture that the nitrogen represented at 30.1 degrees C. Although we are not sure why this happened we believe that it might have been because the heat from the match lowered the pressure, therefore creating a suction even before we capped the flask. Our last opportunity for error occurred in the sensors themselves. The equipment that is widespread and disturbed to schools is not usually up to par with the most recent technology. Our sensors were inferior to ones in a professional lab, and not capable of taking extremely precise results. Thankfully these sensors suited our needs for this project.
On the whole we believe our project was a success. We were able to clearly and thoroughly prove Dalton's Law. We hope that our project will helps other students and adults who are interested in Dalton's Law further their knowledge.

Index Page

  Diagram Two

 Bibliography

 Diagram

 Enhancements

 Hypothesis

 Lab Report

 Method & Materials

 Photo Page

 Results & Conclusion

 Thank You

 Videos