Results

April 7th- While on Spring Break, I decided to test the bouyancy of our submarine. Although the engines were not mounted, the submarine performed well. Our balanced design worked well, keeping the sub neutrally balanced at all times.

April 12- Jake and I got quickly to work. We didnt have metal bands to mount the engines so we used heavy duty tape. Due to the diameter of the engine not meeting the wingspan of the prop, we created risers. Then we wired all the engines to three on/off switches.
April 15- We had a block of time today. Jake and I wired all the engines to the wiring. We also added more tape to mount the engine. For the first time, we tested the engines when they were attached. For the port engine, the propeller flew off and the engine fell to the floor. The starboard and vertical engine ran smoothly. We fixed the port engine by taking off the label of the engine and taping the engine again.The engine finally ran smoothly. I thought we were done for the day so I made a data sheet explaining that we are having three trials from the surface, 5 feet under, 10 feet under, and 15 feet under. Then we would time how long the sub takes to reach 20 feet.

April 21- We had to get ready for the project deadline. We started with testing all the engines. We found that several of the cords had disconnected during our travel. We set out to reconnect the cords which was a major task. We finally finished that job and we decided the sub was ready for a test. After a quick lunch we went to the pool. We tested the engines and placed the sub on the surface. The submarine had almost no problems on the surface. However, we placed the sub about 2 feet under the water and we found that there was too much weight on the back. We added pieces of kick board in the back for floating and added bolts as weights in the front.The sub worked smoothly until the leak on the floating tubes got big. We stopped testing the sub and headed back to fix the seal. Jake sucked all the water out of both tubes. Then we sealed the leak with a special glue. At the end of the day we headed for the inspection and we had everything except one or two things for the trip to Long Beach.


April 22- Due to the previous leak, Jake went home and sealed the tube with a different, silicone glue. To do this, I used a cock gun, and thoroughly went through each open area, and sealed. What I didn't know, was that this specific glue takes over five days to completely dry. So, because of this short drying time until the Long Beach trip, it was not completely dry the next day. Later on though, this extra silicone greatly influenced our accurate results.

April 23- We arrived at Long Beach already peppered to test our sub. Jake and I tested all the engines and took pictures of our sub. Then we measured out 20 feet on the side of the pool and marked it. I went in the water while Jake worked the remote. My job was to make sure that the sub would not hit anyone and to make sure the submarine did not go to off course. For data see our Results page and for a performance results see our Analytic essay.

April 27- Today was an E day and we had from 1 to 3 to work on whatever. We decided to work on the web site. We finished the method and materials page, added many photos, and placed our old diagrams in our diagrams page.

May 3rd- Today we have a big block of time. Our analytic essay was due today so we decided to not go diving. Right away we worked on the web site. We added many more detailed diagrams of error and our ship. Then we started writing in Journal entries from previous days. Jake started on the Analytic Essay. I also made some more roll-over buttons.

 

 

 

March 28th- Jake and I came up with a new plan. We set out to Hobby People to buy engines that would function underwater. We saw three engines that we bought and we also bought some baterry conectors and switch harnesses. We went next door to the Good Guys for some wire. Then we headed to Jake's house and came up with a new design. Our next task was to configure the engines and test them under water. Next we tested to balance of the sub. We tested bolts in a container to see how many it will take to float.

 

March 30th- Now that we bought the tubes, we got to work glueing the submarines body together. First we made the flotation devices (tubes) cealed. Then we glued our 6 weight tubes to the bottom of the submarine body. The acrylic glue we used was very effective.