DEEP Home
Index
Lab Report
Results
Bibliography
Photos
Video
Blog

Our robot moved at an average of 0.58 feet per second, taking just over sixteen seconds to travel ten feet. This is important for scuba diving because many underwater engineering projects are currently under way, or have already been finished. Some examples are submarines, amphibious cars, and many other things, most of which are currently being used in the military and scientific research.
If we had more time to work on our experiment and redesign it, we would probably find a better way to waterproof our batteries. Water leaked into the casings every single trial, and our batteries slowly corroded. At Long Beach, we tried to change the batteries, but since they had corroded to the wire connector, part of the battery connector snapped off, and we had to try to tape the wire directly to our battery, which did not work so well.
We thought it would be interesting to see how fast our robot moves in miles per hour. It moves about 2091 feet in one hour, which is about .4 miles per hour. This would be useful to know if someone were to make a larger robot built for research capabilities and to be used in the ocean. Although our robot would run out of batteries quickly, if we had a bigger battery, it would not be too farfetched to have our robot be used outside of our school project.
It would been very interesting if we had had enough time to add more motors to our robot, such as ones that could add vertical thrust, or motors that could act independently of each other, so that our robot could turn, or move in reverse. Also, it would have also been interesting to try to get our motors that we already had hooked up to the wheels themselves, instead of propellors to push the robot on the wheels.
We learned many things from this experiment. The biggest thing was that making a fully operational underwater car is much harder than it looks. We also learned some useful skills, like sawing PVC pipe and soldering. Although we did know how to do each of those before the project, we did refine them greatly. Overall, this project was a great beginning experience in engineering for both of us, and even though it was challenging, it was quite fun.


Error Analysis: After analyzing the results, we found out that the percentage of error in our experiment was only 3.89%. although this means that our experiment was quite accurate, we still looked into what could have caused this. Some of this error comes from the fact that after our second trial we exchanged the used batteries with new ones. Also, in the second trial, the robot ran over the drain, which it did not do in the other trials. This slight change in terrain probably delayed it slightly, but not enough to be noticeable. Finally, there is the error that the person with the stopwatch is not precise with his clock stopping. But still , this had little or no effect to our results.